Rising temperatures around the world have caused extreme hot and humid weather, especially during the summers. It is directly affecting our skin and is more troublesome for people who have oily skin. As we proceed we will be looking at the skin type-oily, what causes it, and the various home remedies to naturally manage excess oil on the skin.
What is oily skin?
Oily skin means excess oil on the face that produces a greasy appearance. This type can’t attract dust and pollution from the environment as it sticks to the skin and produces skin problems like blackheads, pimples, and acne.
What causes oily skin?
Oily skin is caused by the excess production of sebum from sebaceous glands that are glands that produce oil under our skin surface. Sebum acts as a natural moisturizer for face skin however too much sebum leads to oily skin and connected problems like clogged pores and acne. An increasing amount of sebum production may be attributed to factors such as genetics, hormonal change, or even stress.
Oily skin routine:
Oily skin can be managed and controlled by developing a daily skincare routine. This four-step routine if followed judiciously in the morning and evening can help your skin become healthy, clear, and less greasy.
cleanse your face 2 times a day with a good exfoliating cleanser. This helps clear away excess oil and dead skin to prevent build-up in the pores.
Tone your skin with the help of exfoliating toners that include glycolic acid and lactic acid.
Use lotions that are rich in Sulfur and benzoyl peroxide in the daytime to curb oil production. Some recommended products include BP lotion, sulfur lotion, retinol serum, etc.
Use lightweight water and water-based moisturizers 2 times a day. You can also use a moisturizer that is acne-prone.
Daily routine for oily skin can help you from a long-term aspect. Other ways to manage oily skin include the use of blotting papers throughout the day to absorb excess oil on your face, washing off after exercise to clean off sweat and oil, choosing skin-friendly products, and wearing sunscreen when outdoors. These methods can help you control oily skin during the day.
Certain facial masks like clay masks, honey masks, and oatmeal masks are considered beneficial for treating oily skin. They include essential minerals that absorb oil and reduce skin shininess and sebum levels without irritating the skin. Honey in particular has antibacterial and antiseptic qualities which helps reduce acne and oily skin while keeping the skin soft whereas oatmeal helps cleanse the skin and contains gentle cleansing saponins and anti-inflammatory compounds that soothe irritated skin.
How to control oily skin with makeup?
1- If you also have problems while applying foundations and concealers due to oily skin then you must follow these ways to help you apply makeup better. Start by cleansing and exfoliating your face before you apply foundation. Moisturize your skin well with light and oil-free products. Use a primer on your T-zone. Using wet highlighters can make your skin look messy experts suggest that opting for mat tones instead can define your face better without hampering your makeup texture.
2- Use products with cream and liquid consistencies that blend well instead of powdery counterparts that stick to the oily base of your skin. You can also use a setting spray before applying the foundation to keep your skin hydrated and prevent excess oil production. These tips can come in handy if you are facing problems while applying your makeup because of oily skin.
A consistent skincare routine that we discussed above reduces extreme sebum production can help prevent oily skin over time. We usually attempt to hide oily skin with the help of makeup, however, it is important to avoid certain products that are oil-based and can make symptoms worse or clog our pores.
Foods for oily skin: What to eat and what to avoid
Another important factor that works wonders is following a mindful diet to keep the skin healthy. Foods rich in water content like cucumber, carrots, and green veggies help you stay hydrated whereas greasy foods contain trans fat and add to the extra production of oil on your skin. Here is a list of food products that we must eat for healthy-looking skin:
- Cucumber: cucumber is rich in antioxidants and hydrates your skin with the cooling effect. Including cucumber in your diet will act as a natural toner for your skin.
- Nuts: nuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that cure oily skin instantly.
- Oranges: fruits rich in vitamin C, also known as citrus fruits like oranges and lemons can help detoxify your body and flush out excess oil from your skin.
- Green vegetables: green vegetables are considered extremely healthy for a body as they are rich in fiber content and help clear the oil from your skin.
- Avocado: avocado can be both eaten and also applied directly to your skin for preventing oil secretions. It acts as an effective moisturizer for the skin.
- Lentils and pulses: pulses maintain and balance the oil in our skin they provide nutrients and proteins and also contain amino acids that prevent excess oil secretions.
- Grapefruit: again rich in vitamin C grapefruit removes toxins from the body and has a very high level of water content.
- Dark chocolate: dark chocolate helps in preventing acne inflammation and controls oil production with the help of antioxidants present in it.
- Coconut water: it hydrates your skin and helps keep the skin clean and supple.
- Broccoli: broccoli contains vitamin C which is easily absorbed by the human body it helps in controlling soil and reduces the risk of acne.
- Fish: like nuts fish also contains Omega 3 fatty acid and it helps to tame inflammation and improve oily skin by preventing acne.
- Whole grains: whole grains are high in fiber and help in the digestion process keeping our skin free from oil and acne.
We should avoid foods that have a high-glycemic index and are made of refined carbs and sugar. Few examples include milk, butter, cheese, milk chocolate, deep-fried foods, fast foods, alcohol, excess salt, sugar, dried fruit, cold cereal, white bread, and white pasta.
How to control oily skin for men?
Oily skin is a common problem amongst both men and women. Here we shall discuss ways of how to deal with men’s oily skin:
- Deep skin cleansing: just like the skincare routine discussed above it is important for men to clean the face with fresh water thoroughly at least twice a day. You can also exfoliate using a trusted cleanser 1-2 times per week. Take note that exfoliation should not be done more than twice a week as over-exfoliation causes skin irritation and can be too harsh for the face.
- Some natural exfoliating recipes include- lemon juice and baking soda, apple cider and baking soda, bentonite clay mask and coconut oil, baking soda and water, and orange juice and oatmeal. These concoctions also help in preventing oily skin as well as related problems like blackheads pimple formation and acne.
- Moisturize: A light facial and oil-free moisturizer keeps your skin hydrated and soothes skin irritation.
- Stay hydrated: drinking enough water is important for our health as well as the health of our skin. Lack of proper hydration can cause excess oil production. So one should stay hydrated to prevent oily skin.
- All the other mentioned remedies in the article above can be accommodated with this.
Best face cleansers for oily skin
We have listed key Indian home remedies for oily skin. We shall also look at ways to control oily skin during the day, how to control oily skin for men, and the best face cleanser for oily ski
What you need:
- 3 of Milk, We recommend using skimmed milk instead of whole fat milk.
- 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder.
How to use:
Mix the milk and orange peel powder and apply using a cotton ball directly on your face.
You can gently massage for better effects and let it wait for 5 to 10 minutes.
Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Cucumber is known for its calming and cooling effect in every part of the world. Cucumbers have over 90% of water.
Technique: You can extract cucumber juice by grating a cucumber in your kitchen. Apply a few drops of juice on your face. Rinse your face with the cold water. You can use this face wash twice a day. The cucumber juice suits the skin and gives a refreshing feeling. It also helps reduce blemishes from the skin.
3- Lemon juice:
The cheapest remedy for controlling oily skin is lemon. Use lemon to make your skin glow as it cleanses it deeply. Lemon’s antibacterial properties make them a natural cleanser of the skin.
Technique: Mix lemon juice with a few drops of water. Apply using a cotton swab. Wash and dry after 10 minutes.
Highly rich in vitamin C, tomatoes give you smooth and glowing skin.
Technique: Cut a thick tomato slice and rub it on your face thoroughly. Then wash your face after 15 minutes. you will notice glowing skin.
5- Gram Flour:
Gram flour mask is excellent to get rid of oily skin and acne. It also helps remove tanning from the face.
Technique: Mix gram flour with water to make a mask and apply it on the face and neck for some time. Wash out with fresh water and dry your face. Repeat two to three times a week.
To make yourself summer-ready using ice cubes can be the easiest trick to support and prevent your skin from producing excess heat and oil. It also helps in reducing the redness and swelling of pimples on your face.
7- Egg White:
A Mask of egg whites absorbs excessive oil from the skin and nourishes it with protein. The egg white mask closes in large pores from the face hence preventing extra oil production.
8 – Apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar acts as a natural toner and adds glow to the skin. It reduces wrinkles making the skin look radiant.
Technique: dilute apple cider vinegar with water and dab on your skin with a cotton pad, rinse with water and dry.
9- Fuller’s earth:
Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti is popularly known for its oil-absorbing properties. It helps get rid of extra oil and other skin-related problems like acne blemishes and dead skin cells that cause scars.
Technique: Mix fuller’s earth with rose water to make a paste. Apply this concoction in a circular motion on your face and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash it with fresh water to get in oil-free, radiant skin.
These home remedies are natural to help control excess oil on our skin and further help control the production of acne, pimples, dead skin cells, and blackheads on your face. We should follow a healthy skin routine for great results.
Oily skin can be caused by a variety of factors from genetics to poor eating habits. It can be managed by key natural treatments at home and by also following a healthy skincare routine. To improve the overall health of your skin, it is imperative to follow a balanced diet and avoid applying make-up products that damage your skin. These simple daily efforts have been proven effective by experts from around the world and thus they can be followed without any hesitation.